pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

5 23 2013: guest post

Film photography...kind of thing of the past, right? Well, thankfully there are a few diehards out there who still appreciate the beauty of film. There are lots of reasons why people love to use film still, but of all of the reasons, the one that gets me is the magic of it. I love not knowing what exactly you will capture when you click the shutter. I also love forgetting about the film until you get it developed, and having that moment where you open the packet to see what's inside...pure bliss. :) Today I thought I'd share a few of my favorite film photos with you all.















































This first one is, of course, the iconic Brooklyn Bridge. There are probably a million photos out there of this same view, but this photo has the unpredictability and special marks that my camera gave it, so it seems a little extra special to me.
















































The above two are from the neighbor's yard when we lived next to some chickens. The fence was super tall, but I found this little knot in the fence, and caught the chickens in action after I threw some kitchen scraps out for them. I love the light leaks in these - so pretty!
















































The bottom picture is from Mono Lake in California. Mono Lake looks otherworldly already, but this picture really makes it look like the moon! None of these photos have been edited in any way, and were taken with a Holga CFN120. I know there are a million apps and filters that can do this to digital photos, but I love making the memory-making process that much more special. When you shoot with film, you can't just snap away until you get the "perfect" shot; you take one or two and hope for the best. Thanks, Emily, for letting me share these photos with y'all today! And if you'd like to see more of my (more often digital) pics or get to know me better, come see me at my blog, Abhaya. Over there, I share about all sorts of things, but generally travel and wanderlust, my love for the woods and mountains, yoga and holistic living, and occasional DIYs and recipes. xx sondra

1 comment: